Wednesday, April 20, 2016

I THINK WE'RE ALL BOZOS ON THIS BUS / THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY / TIMER



                                                                PARODY & SATIRE


"I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus" is a comedy recording made by The Firesign Theatre which was very funny and interesting.  First of all, I thought the commentators sounded like martians or robots.  The idea of vegetable shaped holograms singing, technical stimulation, and virtual reality rides was really advanced for the 1970's.  I found it humorous when the computer misunderstood Clem and Barney's names.  The computer tried to interact with both these guys and failed because it was a bad substitute for a genuine human.  As the story goes on, Clem manages to confuse the computer so much that he causes it to crash.  He becomes the first computer "hacker" as we know it today.  The main point of this album was that even though computers serve a purpose, they are just machines and no substitute for humans.  The wit used to shut the computer down was cleaver.  This album is great!  I really enjoyed listening to it instead of having to read about it.  I am going to listen to it again when I have some free time.


The next selection that I listened to while in the labs was" The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy".  This radio show was amazing.  As I listened to it, I felt like I was actually with the characters as they traveled along on their adventure.  The sounds and effects gave me the feeling that I was on the spaceship.  This style of writing reminded me a lot of Jules Vern and his adventure novels.  It was great to listen to this type of science fiction which was funny and witty compared to the more serious science fiction that we had read this semester.

For the Earth to be unexpectedly demolished to make room for a new hyperspace bypass is wild!  A guy by the name of Arthur Dent is saved from this demolition by an alien named Ford Perfect who works for the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy which is actually a type of guide.  Mr. Perfect, the alien, took his first name from the Ford automobile because he thought that it was the most popular life form in the universe.  How funny!!!!  The story has a lot of humorous twists, turns, and details, but it also addresses serious issues such as the meaning to life, the universe, and other things in general.  I can't wait to find out how Arthur and Ford are doing in the next series.  This was a big thumbs up and great!!!



Movie:  Timer (2010)

The movie "Timer" reminds me of what is happening in the dating world today.  Today, instead of meeting someone either at school, through a friend or family, or work, a person just goes online, puts themselves out there, and gets a match to someone who is compatible for them.  They hope???  Then there is social media with Facebook, Twitter, etc. where nothing is private.  How can a relationship survive??  This movie is a Sci-Fi romantic comedy with a little different twist about meeting a soul mate.  The "Timer", a digital clock implanted on a person's wrist, tells a person how long it will be before he or she will meet the "one".  Some of the timers are blank, some show long lengths of time, and some show short periods of time.  This basically drives everyone crazy with worry.  It reminds them that their biological clock is ticking.  I feel the moral of the story is when you meet your soulmate, you will know it without a timer.  You will feel it inside.  Life is full of twists and turn, but do you live for the moment or wait for true love?  I'll go with what is meant to happen will happen.  I liked this movie because it was very comical, but I feel that it was more of a female type movie.











No comments:

Post a Comment